Looking to visit Puerto Rico but not sure what to expect there? Don’t worry, these key facts and destinations will help learn more and enjoy your stay.
- Puerto Rico has two official languages with English and Spanish, and most of the locals are fluent in both. Another great thing is because Puerto Rico is a U.S. commonwealth, American citizens can not only travel there without a passport, but use regular currency.
- Interested in visiting a beautiful rainforest? Puerto Rico is home the El Yunque National Forest. It’s the only tropical rainforest in the United States National Forest System. Located on the slopes of the Sierra de Luquillo mountains, covering almost 28,000 acres. The forest features a number trails that showcase the forests lush, jungle like setting.
- Another natural wonder found in Puerto Rico are the bio bays. Bio bays contain a mysterious blue-green light that is created by micro-organisms. The micro-organisms thrive in this environment that is uniquely suited to their needs.
- If you have children going along on the trip seeing the Museo del Niño makes a great destination. Three floors of “touch only” exhibits containing a bank, television studio, listening to the human body, optical illusions, astronomy, and more, are sure to make this a must see for children visiting.
- If you happen to be a thrillseeker, the Toro Verde features one of the longest ziplines on earth. Not only does this cover 4,745 feet of terrain, the ziplines specially designed harness lets you fly through the air offering breathtaking views.
- Puerto Rico is also home to nearly 70% of the rum sold in the United States. Many brands offer factory tours to educate about the history and the process of how rum is made, offering samples of local favorites as well.
With so much more to offer, it’s no secret that Puerto Rico is a treasure chest of adventure and beauty.